Delicious Dips and Spreads
Nothing brings a gathering together like a bowl of good dip. As we hope to start gathering with more people, here are some dip recipes that will pair well surrounded by a platter full of your favorite colorful vegetables, or try them out with some tasty fruit or whole grains. Whether it’s for the big game or a small family gathering, these recipes are delicious and fun to make for any occasion!
Note: If you do not have a blender, use a fork to mash more solid ingredients. Then blend with other ingredients using a mixing spoon.
- Using a blender, mix 1 (15 ½- ounce) can beans (cannellini, chickpeas, black beans, etc.) rinsed and drained, 1 minced garlic clove, ¼ cup water, 1 Tablespoon canola oil, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper.
- For an extra kick, add ¼ cup salsa. For a thicker dip, add ¼ cup of low-fat yogurt. For a different flavor, add ¼ cup of your favorite rinsed and minced fresh herbs.
- Serve with cut-up fresh veggies, with whole wheat pita wedges or crackers, or as a sandwich spread.
- Mix ½ cup nonfat plain yogurt, ½ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise, and 1 Tablespoon salt-free seasoning blend (or use ½ teaspoon each of dried chives and parsley, ¼ teaspoon each of garlic and onion powder, and 1/8 teaspoon each of salt and pepper). Use low-fat sour cream in place of mayonnaise if you like.
- Serve with cut-up fresh veggies. Or, use it as a topping for quesadillas, tacos, or chili.
- Using a blender, mix 1 (15 ½ -ounce) can pumpkin puree, 1 cup low-fat cream cheese softened), ¼ cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- Serve with whole wheat graham crackers or apple wedges. Or, use it as a spread on whole-wheat toast or bread.
Honey Mustard Dip
- Mix ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt, 1 Tablespoon mustard, and 1 Tablespoon honey.
- Serve with Baked Flaked Chicken or soft whole-grain pretzels.
Ricotta Fruit Dip
- Mix 8 ounces low-fat ricotta cheese, ½ cup nonfat vanilla yogurt, 3 Tablespoons of your favorite fruit preserves or jam, and ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Serve with cut-up fresh fruit or whole wheat crackers. Or, use it as a spread on whole-wheat toast, bread or pancakes.
Fruit Yogurt Dip
- Using a blender, mix 1 cup low-fat cream cheese (softened), ½ cup nonfat vanilla yogurt, ½ cup fruit puree- such as crushed pineapple, berries, or mashed banana- 1 teaspoon honey, and ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Serve with cut-up fresh fruits. Try apples, bananas, grapes, strawberries.