- 1 pound Chicken Boneless pieces
- 1 Onion Medium
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Tomato Medium
- 1 Lime Large
- ¼ cup Cilantro Fresh
- 1 Tablespoon Basil Fresh
- 2 cans Great Northern Beans 15½-ounce cans, no salt added
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 4 cups Chicken Broth Low-sodium
- 1½ teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1½ teaspoons Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Oregano Dried
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes Optional
- Large Pot with Lid
- Small Bowl
- Remove any skin and excess fat from chicken pieces. Cut chicken into ½-inch cubes.
- Rinse, peel, and finely chop onion. Peel and mince garlic.
- Rinse tomato. Remove core and seeds. Chop.
- Rinse lime. Cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice from one half. Discard seeds.
- Rinse and chop cilantro and basil.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. If onion or garlic start to brown, lower heat.
- Add chicken, beans, broth, spices, tomato, lime juice, basil, and cilantro. Stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- If using, top with red pepper flakes.
- Use any canned beans you like in place of great northern beans.
- Serve over a bed of cooked greens like spinach, kale, or chard. Or, serve over brown rice.
- For a different flavor, use Thai basil instead of regular basil.
Keyword Baked Chicken, Basil, Beans, Broth, Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Chili, Chili, Chili Powder, Cilantro, Cumin, Garlic, Garlic Cloves, Great Northern Beans, Lime, Lime Juice, Onion, Onions, Oregano, Red Pepper Flakes, Tomato, Tomatoes, White Beans