- 1 Carrot Or small sweet potato, or small zucchini
- ¼ head Lettuce
- 2 Tomatoes Large
- 4 ounces Cheddar Cheese Low-fat
- 1 can Pinto Beans 15½ ounces, low-sodium
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 pound Ground Turkey Lean
- 1 can Tomatoes 15½ ounces, chopped or crushed, no salt added
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Oregano Dried
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 16 Taco Shells
- Box Grater
- Large Skillet
- Rinse, peel, and grate carrot, sweet potato, or zucchini (if using zucchini, grate but do not peel). Squeeze dry with paper towels.
- Rinse and shred lettuce. Rinse, core, and chop tomatoes.
- Grate cheese.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- Coat a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Add turkey and brown.
- Add grated veggies, beans, canned tomatoes, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Stir well.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Add 2 Tablespoons cooked meat mixture to each taco shell. Top each with 1 Tablespoon grated cheese, 1 Tablespoon shredded lettuce, and 1 Tablespoon fresh tomatoes.
- Top tacos with any of your favorite veggies, hot sauce, salsa, low-fat sour cream, or low-fat plain yogurt.
- Use any type of cooked beans you like.
- Make soft tacos using corn or whole wheat tortillas. Or, serve over brown rice or cornbread.
- For more heat, add minced hot peppers to sauce in step 6.
Keyword Beans, Carrot, Carrots, Cheddar Cheese, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Ground Turkey, Lettuce, Oregano, Pinto Beans, Taco Shells, Tacos, Tomato, Tomatoes, Turkey