- 1 Onion Large
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper Medium
- 6½ teaspoons Cumin Ground
- 2½ teaspoons Coriander Ground
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 pound Ground Turkey Lean
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes 14 ounces, no salt added
- ¾ cup Water
- 3 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 bunch Cilantro Optional
- 1 Scallions Optional
- Large Skillet
- Peel, rinse, and chop onion. Rinse the jalapeño, remove the seeds, and mince.
- If using, rinse and chop cilantro. Peel and thinly slice scallion.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add cumin, coriander, and cinnamon. Cook until fragrant, stirring often, 2-3 minutes. Transfer spices to a plate.
- Add oil to the skillet and heat. Add onion and cook until golden, 12-14 minutes. Add jalapeño and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add turkey and spices. Cook until turkey is browned, breaking up clumps with a mixing spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, water, and cocoa powder. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in salt. If using, serve sprinkled with cilantro and/or scallions.
- Serve with cornbread or over rice. Add a side of sautéed cooking greens or a tossed salad.
- For extra heat, add another rinsed and minced jalapeño pepper in step 4.
- You can use 1 teaspoon anise seed in place of ½ teaspoon of the cumin and ½ teaspoon of the coriander, if you like.
Keyword Cilantro, Cinnamon, Cocoa Powder, Coriander, Cumin, Diced Tomatoes, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Turkey, Jalapeño Pepper, Mole Sauce, Onion, Onions, Scallions, Tomato, Tomatoes, Turkey