- 1 Onion Medium
- 2 Carrots Medium
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 Bell Pepper Green, large
- 1 can Kidney Beans 15½ ounces, no salt added
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 pound Ground Turkey
- 2 cans Diced Tomatoes 14½ ounces each, no salt added
- 1 cup Water
- 3 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin Ground
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Lime Optional
- ⅔ cup Yogurt Optional; low-fat, plain
- Large Pot
- Rinse and peel onion and carrots. Peel garlic.
- Rinse bell pepper. Remove core and seeds.
- Dice onion, carrots, and bell pepper. Mince garlic.
- If using lime, rinse now. Cut into wedges.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add turkey and brown.
- Add onion, carrots, bell pepper, and garlic to pot. Cook until onions are soft and carrots are somewhat tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, water, chili powder, and cumin to pot. Season with salt.
- Lower heat to medium. Cook until all flavors have blended, about 15 minutes.
- If using lime and yogurt, squeeze juice from lime wedges on top of chili or serve on the side. Top each serving with 1 Tablespoon yogurt.
- Serve with cornbread, brown rice, or whole wheat noodles. Or, use to top baked potatoes.
- Try black beans or chickpeas in place of the kidney beans.
- Chili can be frozen in batches to eat later. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
Keyword Beans, Bell Pepper, Bell Peppers, Carrot, Carrots, Chili, Diced Tomatoes, Garlic, Garlic Cloves, Green Bell Pepper, Green Pepper, Ground Turkey, Kidney Beans, Onion, Onions, Tomato, Tomatoes