- 1 stalk Celery Large, or two small stalks
- 1 Tomato Large
- ½ Lemon Medium
- 2 cans Tuna 6 ounces, packed in water, no salt added, light
- 2 ounces Cheddar Cheese Low-fat
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise Low-fat
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 4 slices Bread Whole wheat
- ¼ teaspoon Dill Optional; dried
- Hot Sauce Optional; to taste
- Box Grater
- Large Skillet with Lid
- Medium Bowl
- Small Bowl
- Rinse and dice celery. Rinse, core, and cut tomato into 4 thick slices.
- Rinse lemon and cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice. Discard seeds.
- In a colander, drain tuna.
- Grate cheese.
- In a medium bowl, add tuna. Flake apart with a fork. Add celery, lemon juice, mayonnaise, and pepper. Mix with fork until combined. If using dried herbs and hot sauce, stir in now.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 slices bread. Cook until toasted on bottom, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Repeat with other 2 slices. Remove pan from heat.
- On the toasted side of each bread slice, add ½ cup tuna salad. Top with tomato slice and sprinkle with cheese (about 2 Tablespoons each).
- Return skillet to medium heat. Place 2 sandwiches in skillet. Cover and cook until cheese is melted and the underside is browned, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan. Repeat with other 2 sandwiches.
- Tuna salad is also great for cold sandwiches. Or, use to make a pasta salad. Combine with leftover whole wheat pasta, a handful of thawed frozen peas, and a little extra low-fat mayonnaise and lemon juice.
- Use diced radishes in place of celery, if you like.
- To make all 4 sandwiches at once, use the oven. Toast bread on a baking sheet at 450°F for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and turn each slice over. Top with tuna salad, tomato slices, and cheese. Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 3-5 minutes.
Keyword Bread, Celery, Cheddar Cheese, Dill, Hot Sauce, Lemon, Lemons, Seafood, Tomato, Tomatoes, Tuna, Tuna Fish, Whole Wheat Bread