- 1 Onion Large
- 1 Bell Pepper Green, medium
- 8 ounces Mushrooms Button mushrooms
- 2 Tomatoes Medium
- 6 ounces Mozzarella Cheese 1 Block
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 Pizza Dough Whole wheat; frozen or refrigerated, defrosted
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- ¼ teaspoon Basil Dried
- ¼ teaspoon Oregano Dried
- 1 can Tomato Sauce 8 ounces, no salt added
- ¼ teaspoon Parsley Optional; dried
- Turkey Pepperoni Optional; 15 (2-inch) diameter slices
- Baking Sheet
- Box Grater
- Large Skillet
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Rinse and peel onion. Rinse peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Dice onion, peppers, and tomatoes into ½-inch pieces. Slice mushrooms ¼-inch thick.
- Grate cheese.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onions, mushrooms, and peppers. Cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes.
- Shape dough into a 12-inch pizza round. Use your fingers to stretch and spread the dough.
- Coat a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Place pizza dough in center of sheet.
- Mix dried basil and dried oregano into tomato sauce. If using dried parsley, add now. Spread a layer of sauce across the dough.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly across the dough. Spread vegetable mixture evenly over the pizza. If using turkey pepperoni, add a layer of slices now.
- Bake pizza until cheese is melted and crust is browned on the sides and bottom, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Let rest for 2 minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut into 8 pieces.
- Make your own whole wheat dough. Or, look for prepared whole-wheat pizza dough in the refrigerator section of your store.
- Try making a calzone. Lightly coat a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Lay dough on sheet. Cover half the dough with sauce, cheese, and veggies. Fold the dough in half over toppings and seal the edges. Bake for 6 minutes. Turn over, then bake an extra 6 minutes.
- Make mini pizzas using English muffins or pita bread for the crust.
- Top pizza with any seasonal veggies you like. Try broccoli, red onion, zucchini, or others.
- Instead of using canned tomato sauce, make your own.
- For a crispier crust, precook the crust for 10 minutes after step 7, and then reduce the cooking time in step 10 to 10-15 minutes.
Keyword Basil, Bell Pepper, Bell Peppers, Cheese, Green Bell Pepper, Green Pepper, Mozzarella Cheese, Mushrooms, Onion, Onions, Oregano, Parsley, Pepperoni, Pizza, Pizza Dough, Tomato, Tomato Sauce, Turkey Pepperoni