- 4 Sweet Potatoes 2½ pounds total
- ¼ cup Milk
- 1½ teaspoons Canola Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Cinnamon Optional; ground
- 8 ounces Mushrooms
- 1 Onion Small
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1½ Pound Ground Beef Or ground turkey, lean meat
- 1 teaspoon Thyme Dried
- ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 can Chicken Broth 15 ounces, low sodium; or beef broth
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 cup Green Peas Thawed, frozen or drained, canned
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- 9×13-inch Baking Dish
- 9-inch Square Baking Dish
- Large Skillet
- Medium Bowl
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Scrub potatoes and pierce several times with fork. Place in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Bake until soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool.
- While sweet potatoes bake and cool, prepare filling. Wash and slice mushrooms. Peel and dice onion. Peel and mince garlic.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add beef or turkey, mushrooms, and onion. Cook, crumbling meat with a rubber spatula as it cooks, until meat is no longer pink, about 15 minutes.
- In a colander, drain off liquid. Return mixture to skillet. Add garlic and thyme. Cook for 30 seconds. Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat. Add broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer. Cook until mixture thickens, 2-3 minutes. Stir in peas, salt, and pepper.
- Coat a 9-inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Transfer mixture to dish.
- Peel cooled sweet potatoes. Place in a medium bowl. Add milk, butter, salt, and pepper. If using cinnamon, add now. Mash with a fork until smooth. Spread over the filling.
- Bake until hot and bubbling at the edges, 30-40 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Use another green vegetable in place of the peas, if you prefer. Try spinach, green beans, edamame, or lima beans.
- Make this dish over the weekend and reheat on a busy weeknight. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate up to 3 days. Reheat, covered, at 350°F until hot throughout.
- Serve this dish with a tossed salad.
Keyword All-Purpose Flour, AP Flour, Broth, Chicken Broth, Cinnamon, Flour, Garlic, Garlic Cloves, Green Peas, Ground Beef, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Turkey, Milk, Mushrooms, Onion, Onions, Shepherd’s Pie, Sweet Potato, Sweet Potatoes, Thyme, Worcestershire Sauce