- 3 Yellow Squash Or zucchini (about 1-1.5 pounds)
- 1 Egg
- 4 ounces Cheddar Cheese Or other meltable cheese, grated (about ½ cup)
- ¾ cup Bread Crumbs
- ½ Onion Medium, chopped
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Ground Black Pepper To taste
- ⅓ cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice About ½ lemon or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Parsley Finely minced, or ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder Or 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Large Baking Sheet
- Box Grater
- Large Bowl
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (or grease the baking sheet with oil).
- Grate the squash on a fine grater (or use a food processor). Add ½ teaspoon salt, and mix it together. Put the grated squash in a colander. Let sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Use your hands to squeeze all the extra liquid from the grated squash in the colander. You should have about 1 cup of liquid for every pound of squash you use. Discard the liquid.
- Combine all the tot ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. The mixture should be sticky and wet, like a thick paste. If it is too wet, add extra bread crumbs. Form small tots with your hands (about 1.5-2 Tablespoons squash mixture per tot). Tip: dip your hands into a bowl of cold water in between every few tots- this will help keep the squash mixture from sticking to your hands!
- Arrange the tots on the baking sheet. Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes, or until golden on top and lightly browned on the bottom.
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the yogurt sauce while the tots are baking. Serve as a dip for the warm tots!
Keyword Bread Crumbs, Cheddar Cheese, Cheese, Dip, Egg, Garlic Powder, Greek Yogurt, Lemon, Lemon Juice, Onion, Onions, Parsley, Squash, Yellow Squash, Yogurt, Zucchini