- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil Plus 1-2 additional Tablespoons for sautéing
- ½ cup Onion Chopped
- ½ cup Bell Pepper Chopped
- Salt To taste
- Ground Black Pepper To taste
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Minced
- 4 ounces Mushrooms
- 3 cups Broth
- 1 cup Split Peas Dry, picked, and rinsed
- ½ cup Brown Rice Dry
- ¾ cup Bread Crumbs Plus ¼ cup for coating; plain, dry
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Optional; ground
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Optional; ground
- Large Saucepan
- Mixing Bowl
- Medium Sauté Pan
- Food Processor (Optional)
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and a pinch of salt. Cook until onions are soft. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, peas, rice, and spices. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Decrease heat to low, cover and cook at a simmer for 1 hour or until the rice and peas are tender. Using precooked or instant rice can cut the cook time by about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and gently pour the mixture into a bowl and mash until combined, or use a food processor and process until just combined. Do not puree. Stir in the ¾ cup of bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If using, add coriander and cumin. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Shape the mixture into patties and dredge on each side in the remaining ¼ cup of breadcrumbs. Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add 2 burgers at a time and sauté until brown on each side, approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side. To grill, cook on high for 3 to 4 minutes per side as well. Serve immediately.
Keyword Bell Pepper, Bell Peppers, Bread Crumbs, Broth, Brown Rice, Burgers, Coriander, Cumin, Garlic, Garlic Cloves, Mushrooms, Olive Oil, Split Pea, Split Peas, Vegan, Vegetarian, Veggie Burger