- 1 ¾ cups Quinoa
- 3 cups Chicken Broth Low-sodium
- Kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- ½ Red Onion Thinly sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic Finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Chile Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- ½ tsp Cumin
- 1 small Red Jalapeno Pepper Seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 small Sweet Potatoes Peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- ⅓ cup Cilantro Chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp Lime Juice
- Medium Bowl
- Saucepan Medium
- Large Skillet
- Put the quinoa in a bowl and cover with water; drain. Repeat twice; drain well. (This will help remove bitterness.) Transfer the quinoa to a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly until the quinoa is dry, about 8 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, 3/4 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer, then cover the pan, leaving the lid slightly ajar to let steam escape; reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the quinoa is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the red onion and garlic and cook until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add the chile powder, coriander and cumin and cook, stirring, until the spices darken, about 1 minute. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, the jalapeno, sweet potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are tender and the liquid is almost absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato mixture to the quinoa, then add the cilantro and lime juice and toss; season with salt.
Keyword Chicken Broth, Chili Pepper, Cilantro, Coriander, Cumin, Garlic, Jalapeño Pepper, Lime Juice, Onion, Quinoa