- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion Finely chopped
- 1 clove Garlic Minced
- 2 cups Brown Rice
- 3 cups Stock Chicken or vegetable
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 pinch Oregano Or cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Large Skillet
- Heat olive oil in large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add the rice and stir it so that the rice is lightly coated with the oil.
- Cook on medium-high heat, stirring often, until much of the rice has browned.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently another 3 minutes, until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook until the onions are translucent and softened, about a minute more.
- Bring the stock to a simmer in a separate pot, with the tomato, oregano, and salt.
- Add the browned rice to the simmering broth.
- Bring everything to a simmer, cover the pot and lower the heat to barely maintain a low simmer.
- Cook for 15-25 minutes, depending on the type of rice.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork or spoon to serve.
- Substitute tomato paste for 1 cup diced tomatoes (rinsed and drained.)
- If you desire spicy Spanish rice add a teaspoon of cayenne or chili powder along with a teaspoon of cumin.
Keyword Brown Rice, Chicken Stock, Garlic, Garlic Cloves, Olive Oil, Onion, Rice, Spanish Rice, Tomato Paste, Vegetable Stock