- ½ box Spaghetti 8 ounces; whole wheat
- 1 Onion Small
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Egg Large
- 1 pound Ground Turkey Or ground beef; lean meat
- 2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 4 teaspoons Italian Seasoning Divided
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 can Crushed Tomatoes 14 ounces, no salt added
- 1 can Tomato Sauce 8 ounces, no salt added
- Large Pot
- Large Skillet with Lid
- Medium Bowl
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. In a colander, rinse with cool water and drain well.
- While spaghetti cooks, peel and finely chop onion. Peel and mince garlic.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg with fork. Add turkey, flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning. Mix well. With damp hands, roll about 1 Tablespoon of meat into a ball. Repeat to make 20 meatballs.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and remaining 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning. Stir constantly for 30 seconds. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Add meatballs. Cook, partly covered, for 10 minutes without stirring (stirring before the meatballs “set” may break them up into the sauce).
- Gently stir and cook, partly covered, until meatballs are just cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Serve over spaghetti.
- Serve with a green salad full of colorful, seasonal vegetables. Or, sauté veggies, like chopped zucchini, yellow squash, or dark leafy greens, along with garlic and onion in step 4.
- Double the recipe for meatballs and sauce. Freeze half for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stove top or in the microwave until hot. Serve over freshly cooked whole grain pasta.
- Instead of Italian seasoning, use 2 teaspoons each dried basil and oregano. Mix well.
Keyword Crushed Tomatoes, Egg, Garlic, Garlic Cloves, Garlic Powder, Ground Beef, Ground Turkey, Italian Seasoning, Meatballs, Onion, Onion Powder, Onions, Pasta, Spaghetti, Tomato Sauce, Tomatoes, Whole Wheat Pasta