- 1 Bell Pepper Medium
- 1 Red Onion Small
- 2 cans Black-Eyed Peas 15½-ounce cans
- 1 can Corn 15½-ounce can, no salt added
- 3 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ cup Cilantro Optional; fresh leaves
- Large Bowl
- Rinse and dice bell pepper, removing core and seeds. Peel, rinse, and dice onion.
- If using, rinse and chop cilantro leaves.
- In a colander, drain and rinse black-eyed peas and corn.
- In a large bowl, add pepper, onion, peas, corn, cilantro (if using), and remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Dried black-eyed peas may be cheaper than canned. If using dried, cook according to package directions until peas are soft but not mushy. Drain, rinse, and add 3 cups cooked peas to salad. Use leftovers in other recipes later in
- Try chilling the salad. Serve it over cooked spinach or kale.
- Use any type of vinegar you have on hand. Try balsamic, cider, or red or white wine vinegar.
- Use black beans in place of black-eyed peas if you like.
- When corn is in season, use fresh in place of canned. Cook 4 medium ears corn. Remove kernels from cob with a knife. Add to salad.
Keyword Bell Pepper, Bell Peppers, Black-Eyed Peas, Cilantro, Corn, Corn Salad, Cumin, Gluten Free, Onion, Red Onion, Salt, Vegan, Vegetarian, Vinegar