Shredded Chicken and Barley One Pot Stew
Filled with Fall veggies and whole grains this healthy stewcomes together quickly to warm your fall evenings our lunch!
- 3 Bacon Slices
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Onion Yellow, chopped
- 1 cup Carrots Cut 1/4-inch-thick diagonally
- 1 cup Celery Cut 1/4-inch-thick diagonally
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Cloves Minced, about 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 4 Chicken Breasts Skinless, boneless, (6-oz)
- 4 cups Chicken Broth Low-sodium
- 1 cup Barley Uncooked, quick-cooking
- 1 package Baby Spinach (8-oz)
- 2 Tbsp Parsley Chopped
- Dutch Oven
- Meat Thermometer
- Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium until crisp, about 6 minutes, turning once. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Add olive oil to drippings in Dutch oven; increase heat to medium-high. Add yellow onion, carrots, and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in garlic, kosher salt, and pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add chicken and broth to Dutch oven. Cook on medium-high until broth begins to boil, about 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in barley, and cook until chicken is cooked through and a thermometer inserted in the thickest portion reads 165°F, about 8 to 10 minutes more. Remove chicken, shred into large pieces, and return to Dutch oven. Add spinach, and stir until wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in parsley; top each serving with crumbled bacon.
Keyword Baby Spinach, Bacon, Black Pepper, Carrots, Celery, Chicken Breast, Fresh Parsley, Garlic Cloves, Green Onion, Kosher Salt, Parsley, Vegetable Oil