This is hearty, filling, and inexpensive — not to mention extremely delicious and fairly easy to make. The hardest and most time-consuming part of this stew is preparing the vegetables. Chop and dice all my vegetables by hand so it can take a little bit more time, but it is very much worth the extra effort it takes. Pork, beef, or venison are all good in this recipe too.
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 lbs Chicken Diced
- 4 Rutabagas Peeled and diced
- 4 Beets Medium, peeled and diced
- 4 Carrots Diced
- 3 stalks Celery Diced
- 1 Red Onion Diced
- Dutch Oven Or large pot
- Heat vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir chicken in hot oil until completely browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add rutabagas, beets, carrots, celery, and onion to the pot.
- Pour enough water over the vegetable mixture to cover completely. Reduce heat to low and cook at a simmer for at least 4 hours, adding water as needed to keep vegetables submerged.
Keyword Beets, Carrots, Celery, Chicken, Red Onion, Rutabaga, Vegetable Oil