Roasted Root Vegetables with Spicy Pecans
Everyone makes roasted root vegetables this time of year. Try this recipe with a spicy pecan topping to surprise your guests and wake up those taste buds!
Spicy Pecan Topping
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Butter Unsalted
- 1 cup Pecans Roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
Roasted Root Vegetables
- 1 lb Sweet Potatoes Peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 lbs Golden Beets (About 2 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 3/4 lbs Carrots (About 3 large), peeled and cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 Tbsp Vegetable Oil Divided
- 1 3/4 tsp Kosher Salt Divided
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Divided
- 3/4 lbs Red Beets (About 2 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch
- 1 Red Onion Medium-sized, cut into 8 wedgeswith root intact
- 1 Thyme Sprigs Plus leaves for garnish
- Baking Sheet
- Large Bowl
- Microwave-Safe Bowl
- Prepare Spicy Pecan Topping: Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine syrup and butter in a medium microwavable bowl; microwave on HIGH until butter melts, about 45 seconds. Stir in pecans, chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, and salt. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 8 minutes. Stir mixture; bake until toasted, 4 to 6 more minutes. Remove from oven, and increase oven temperature to 450°F. Cool completely on baking sheet, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare Roasted Root Vegetables: Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine sweet potatoes, golden beets, and carrots in a large bowl. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the oil, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper. Toss well to combine. Spread mixture in a single layer on 1 baking sheet.
- Combine red beets and red onion in same large bowl. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Toss well to combine. Spread mixture in a single layer on second baking sheet.
- Bake vegetables at 450°F for 20 minutes. Remove baking sheets from oven; stir vegetables. Tuck 4 thyme sprigs into orange vegetables and 2 thyme sprigs into red vegetables. Rotate baking sheets between top and bottom racks. Bake at 450°F until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a serving bowl; gently toss together. Coarsely chop pecan topping. Sprinkle topping and thyme leaves over vegetables before serving warm or at room temperature.
Keyword Beets, Black Pepper, Carrots, Cayenne Pepper, Chili Powder, Kosher Salt, Maple Syrup, Pecan, Red Onion, Roasted Root Vegetables, Sweet Potatoes, Thyme, Unsalted Butter