Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
Quinoa (pronounced "keen-wah") is a whole grain with origins in South America. It is combined in this recipe with black beans, savory vegetables, and spices for a cold salad that is light and refreshing. This salad is high in protein and can be served as a main or side dish.
- ½ cup Quinoa
- 1½ cup Water
- 1½ Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Lime Juice
- ¼ tsp Cumin
- ¼ tsp Coriander
- 2 Tbsp Cilantro Chopped
- 2 Scallions Medium, minced
- 1 can Black Beans 15 ounces, low-sodium, rinsed, and drained
- 2 cups Tomato Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Medium, chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper Medium, chopped
- 2 Green Chiles Minced, to taste
- Black Pepper To taste
- Mixing Bowl
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse the quinoa in cold water. Boil water in a saucepan, and then add the quinoa.
- Return to boil, and then simmer until the water is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, mix olive oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, chopped cilantro, and scallions in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Combine chopped vegetables with the black beans in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Once quinoa has cooled, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Keyword Black Beans, Black Pepper, Chiles, Cilantro, Coriander, Cumin, Lime Juice, Olive Oil, Quinoa, Red Bell Pepper, Scallions, Tomatoes