- 1 bunch Kale
- 4 Carrots Medium; about 2 cups grated
- 3 Celery Stalks
- 2 Apples
- 1 Lemon
- ¼ cup Olive Oil Plus 1 Tablespoon
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- ⅛ Tablespoon Salt
- ¼ Tablespoon Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ cup Sunflower Seeds
- Small Bowl
- Large Bowl
- Wash kale, carrots, celery, apples, and lemon.
- Separate kale leaves from the stalk and tear them into bite-sized pieces (about 2×2 inches). Discard or compost kale stalks.
- Grate the carrots. Dice the apples and celery and set aside.
- Place kale leaves in a large bowl. Cut the lemon in half and set one half aside. In the bowl with the kale leaves, squeeze all the juice out of the remaining lemon half.
- Drizzle 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and salt into the bowl with kale and lemon juice. Massage kale until it starts to soften (2 to 3 minutes).
- In a small bowl, squeeze the juice from the remaining half of the lemon. Whisk together with honey and black pepper. Gradually whisk in ¼ cup olive oil to make the dressing.
- Add apples, celery, carrots, sunflower seeds, and dressing to the kale and toss together.
- Apples can be replaced with pears, mandarin oranges, strawberries, or craisins.
Keyword Apple, Apples, Carrot, Carrots, Celery, Honey, Kale, Lemon, Olive Oil, Sunflower Seeds