Mackerel with Squash
Canned mackerel contains healthy fats such as omega-3. Zucchini squash pairs well with its rich flavor and makes a satisfying meal over brown rice.
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion Small, diced
- 3 Zucchini Diced, about 4 cups
- 3 cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 4 3/8 ounces Canned Mackerel Drained, about 3/4 cups
- 2 Tbsp Parsley Chopped
- Lime Wedges
- Skillet or Frying Pan
- Cover for Skillet or Frying Pan
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, garlic, and salt. Stir, and cook for about 5 minutes or until crisp tender. Stir once or twice to prevent sticking. If needed, add a few tablespoons of water, and cover.
- Add canned mackerel. Stir, and cover. Cook until the zucchini is tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with parsley, and offer lime wedges at the table.
Chef’s TipsDuring autumn, try peeled and diced butternut squash in place of the zucchini for a colorful variation. Versions with canned salmon or tuna are also delicious.
Keyword Canned Mackerel, Garlic, Lime, Onion, Parsley, Salt, Vegetable Oil, Zucchini