- 2½ cups Lentils Dried, (one 16-ounce package)
- 6 cups Broth Chicken or vegetable
- 1 Onion Large; chopped
- ½ cup Carrots Grated
- 4 Tablespoons Butter Or margarine
- 1 teaspoon Thyme Dried
- ⅛ teaspoon Nutmeg
- Salt To taste
- Ground Black Pepper To taste
- Large Pot
- Put broth and lentils into a large pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 1-1.5 hours or until lentils are soft.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté chopped onion and grated carrots in butter or margarine- until limp. Do not brown.
- Add sautéed onion and carrots to pot with lentils. Add thyme, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Serve.
Keyword Broth, Butter, Carrot, Carrots, Gluten Free, Ground Nutmeg, Lentil Soup, Lentils, Nutmeg, Onion, Thyme, Vegetarian