- 1 package Penne Pasta 16 ounces; whole grain
- 1 Onion Medium
- ½ pound Carrots
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 jar Marinara Sauce 26 ounces
- 1 package Tofu 10 ounces; Firm
- ⅓ cup Milk
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 dash Nutmeg
- Box Grater
- Large Pot
- Large Skillet
- Cook pasta using package directions. Prepare sauce while pasta cooks.
- Peel and rinse onion.
- Dice onion into ¼-inch pieces.
- Rinse, peel, and grate carrots.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat oil. Add onions and cook 5 minutes. Add grated carrots and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add marinara sauce to vegetables. Drain tofu. Crumble into sauce. Mix well.
- Raise heat to medium. Cook until sauce begins to simmer, about 7 minutes.
- Pour in milk. Stir to combine.
- Pour sauce over cooked, drained pasta. Just before serving, add salt and nutmeg. Stir.
- Look for jarred sauce that does not have added sugar.
- Substitute part of the carrots for winter squash. Great winter squash options include butternut, spaghetti, acorn, Hubbard, and delicata.
Keyword Carrot, Carrots, Marinara Sauce, Pasta, Tofu, Vegetables, Whole Wheat Pasta