- 1 Onion Medium
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Carrot Medium
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 teaspoon Basil Dried
- ½ teaspoon Oregano Dried
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 can Crushed Tomatoes 28 ounces, no salt added
- Box Grater
- Medium Pot with Lid
- Peel and rinse onion, garlic, and carrot.
- Dice onion. Shred carrot using a grater. Mince garlic.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, garlic, and carrot. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add ground turkey or lean ground beef to make a meat sauce. Cook meat and drain fat. Add veggies and proceed with recipe.
- Make a double batch of sauce. Freeze extra for later use.
- Add diced zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, or other vegetables if you like.
- Try adding 1-2 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar with the spices, for a different flavor.
- Serve over whole grain pasta. Or, use in place of canned tomato sauce in other recipes.
Keyword Basil, Carrot, Carrots, Crushed Tomatoes, Garlic, Gluten Free, Onion, Oregano, Tomato, Tomato Sauce, Vegan, Vegetarian