- 3 Green Onions
- 1 Bell Pepper Medium; red or green
- 1 Garlic Clove Medium
- 2 ounces Cheddar Cheese Low-fat
- 1 can Black Beans 15 ounces; no salt added
- 1 teaspoon Canola Oil
- 4 Eggs Large
- ¾ teaspoon Cumin Divided
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- 4 Tortillas 8-inch; whole wheat
- ⅓ cup Yogurt Nonfat, plain
- ¼ cup Cilantro Optional; fresh
- Box Grater
- Medium Skillet
- Small Bowl
- Rinse green onions and bell pepper. Peel garlic clove.
- Slice green onions. Remove core and dice bell pepper. Mince garlic.
- If using fresh cilantro, rinse and chop leaves now.
- Grate cheese.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add beans, green onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until peppers are soft, about 3 minutes. Add ½ teaspoon ground cumin and black pepper. Transfer mixture to a plate.
- In a small bowl, crack eggs. Add remaining ¼ teaspoon cumin. Beat mixture lightly with a fork.
- Wipe out skillet with a paper towel. Coat with non-stick cooking spray. Heat at medium-low. Add egg mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs are as firm as you like, about 3-5 minutes. If using cilantro, add now.
- Spoon egg mixture into the center of each tortilla, dividing evenly. Add beans and veggies. Sprinkle cheese on top. If using yogurt, add a dollop to each tortilla.
- Fold tortilla over mixture and serve.
- Add color and flavor with fresh salsa. Mix chopped fresh or canned tomatoes, chopped onion, and chopped cilantro. Add a pinch of ground cumin for heat.
- For a different flavor, use Monterey Jack or Colby cheese instead of cheddar.
- When selecting whole wheat tortillas, compare nutrition facts labels and look for options lower in sodium and saturated fat and with no trans fat.
- Steam, sauté, or grill a mix of veggies. Add to burritos.
- If you double the recipe, do not double cumin.
- Use 1 Tablespoon dried cilantro instead of fresh cilantro, if you like.
- Burritos can be frozen for up to one week. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, cover with aluminum foil, and freeze. To reheat, remove foil and plastic. Microwave 1.5-2 minutes, turning as needed. Or, remove plastic wrap and re-cover in aluminum foil. Heat in a toaster oven or regular oven at 300°F for about 6 minutes.
Keyword Beans, Black Beans, Burrito, Cheddar Cheese, Eggs, Green Onions