- 1 lb Ground Beef Or ground turkey
- 1 bag Vegetables 16 ounces, frozen; preferably peas and carrots
- 1 Onion Sweet onion
- 5 Tortillas Whole wheat
- Oil For frying; canola or vegetable
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Coriander
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cardamom
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice ¼ of a lemon
- ¼ cup Water
- ¼ cup Flour All purpose
- Frying Pan
- Small Bowl
- Medium Bowl
- Chop the onions.
- In a small bowl, prepare the spice mixture.
- Brown the turkey on medium heat. When cooked through, add the chopped onions.
- When the onions are cooked and transparent, add frozen vegetables. Cook until bright and tender.
- Add the spice mixture and cook until the mixture becomes more fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice to the mixture. Taste and adjust flavors if necessary.
- Once the filling is finished, mix the flour and water together into a medium bowl. Combine until it becomes a thick paste.
- Cut the tortillas into quarters. With the rounded portion of the cut tortilla facing you, put a thin layer of the flour/water paste starting in the bottom center spreading it to the right corner.
- Fold the corner over to the left side so that a pocket shape is formed.
- On the left corner, spread flour/water paste in a thin layer along the outside edges starting from the bottom point of the previous fold, and outlining the tortilla up to the top corner of the previous fold.
- Fold the left corner across to the right side, making a pocket shaped like a kite. Seal firmly so that the filling doesn't leak while frying.
- Put the filling in the sambusa pocket, careful not to overfill so that it is still able to be sealed.
- Using the flour/water paste, tuck the top corner into the filling, making sure that it is sealed shut. Repeat steps 8-13 until all the sambusas are filled and sealed.
- Heat oil (about 1 inch deep) on medium-high heat (about 350°F if you have a thermometer). Add the sambusas to the oil and cook, flip with tongs until both sides are golden brown (about 3-4 minutes on each side).
- Recipe makes 20 sambusas.
- Make sure to taste the cooked filling to be sure you like the seasoning level.
- Try adding fresh garlic, chilis, or fresh cilantro to the filling if you like.
- Ground beef can be used in place of ground turkey.
- If making a halal meal, be sure that the meat is halal certified.
Keyword Canola Oil, Cardamom, Carrots, Chili Powder, Coriander, Cumin, Flour, Garlic Powder, Green Peas, Ground Turkey, Halal, Lemon, Lemon Juice, Lemons, Mixed Vegetables, Peas, Tortillas, Turkey, Vegetable Oil, Whole Wheat Tortillas