- 4 ounces Cream Cheese Low-fat
- 3 cups Fruit Fresh or thawed frozen; bananas, strawberries, peaches, or mango
- 6 slices Bread Whole wheat
- 1½ Tablespoons Milk Low-fat
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- ¼ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Baking Sheet
- Heavy Skillet
- Small Bowl
- Remove cream cheese from refrigerator. Let it come to room temperature on countertop, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- If using fresh fruit, rinse, peel, and/or trim as needed. If using thawed frozen fruit, drain any excess juices. Cut fruit into ¼-inch thick slices. There should be about 2 cups total.
- Slice crust off bread. Using the bottom of a heavy skillet, flatten to about ⅛-inch thick. Place on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- While bread bakes, in a small bowl, use fork to mix cream cheese and milk until smooth. Stir in honey and vanilla.
- Spread a heaping tablespoon of cream cheese mixture on each piece of cooled bread. Arrange about ⅓ cup fruit on top of each tart.
- Use your favorite fruits to make these tarts. For best price, choose fresh fruits in season or thawed frozen fruits. Mangoes, apples, pears, melons, pineapple, berries, and orange or grapefruit segments all make good toppings.
- If you do not have an oven, crisp the bread in a skillet over medium heat. Or, use a toaster or toaster oven. Watch carefully so bread gets just crisp and not brown.
- Cover and refrigerate the cream cheese mixture up to 3 days. Leftover cream cheese mixture makes a great dip for fruits.
- Use leftover crusts to make whole grain breadcrumbs. Chop them as finely as you can with a knife, or pulse in a blender until crumbs form. For fresh crumbs, use as is. For dried crumbs, toast in a skillet over medium heat until light brown. Freeze in an airtight container until ready to use.
Keyword Banana, Bananas, Bread, Cream Cheese, Fruit, Honey, Mango, Milk, Peach, Peaches, Strawberries, Vanilla Extract, Whole Wheat Bread