Falafel with Yogurt Sandwich
Falafel is a pan-fried patty made from ground garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and middle eastern spices. It makes a healthy and delicious sandwich when served with a seasoned yogurt dressing and fresh onions on whole wheat pita bread. Try this recipe for lunch or dinner.
- 1 cup Garbanzo Beans Dried and rinsed
- 3 cups Water
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 clove Garlic Crushed
- 1 Onion Medium, chopped
- 1 tsp Parsley Chopped
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/3 tsp Hot Pepper Sauce
- 1 cup Yogurt Low-Fat Plain
- 4 Whole Wheat Pitas
- Tomatoes Sliced, optional
- Lettuce Optional
- Bread Crumbs Optional, see note
- Frying Pan
- Put beans and water in large pot and soak by the overnight or quick-soak method.
- Cook until tender, about 2 hours. Add more water if necessary. Drain.
- Slowly heat oil and sauté garlic and onion until tender (5 to 7 minutes).
- With floured hands, form ovals with bean mixture (about 1/4 cup each). Roll in flour.
- Fry falafel, with the remaining oil in skillet, until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
- Combine yogurt with remaining onion.
- Serve falafel in pocket bread topped with yogurt.
- If the batter is too moist, add breadcrumbs to make it thicker. It may take up to a cup of breadcrumbs.
Keyword All-Purpose Flour, Bread Crumbs, Dried Garbanzo Beans, Garlic, Hot Pepper Sauce, Lemon Juice, Lettuce, Onion, Parsley, Plain Yogurt, Salt, Tomatoes, Vegetable Oil, Whole Wheat Pita Bread