- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Onion Cut into ¼-½ inch pieces
- 1 Celery Stalk Cut into ¼-½ inch pieces
- ½ Carrot Large, peeled and cut into ¼-½ inch pieces
- 1 clove Garlic Finely minced
- 1 Egg Beaten
- ½ quart Vegetable Stock Low-sodium
- 5-6 cups Sandwich Bread Whole-grain, cubed and dried overnight or in the oven
- 2 Tbsp Butter Unsalted
- Salt To taste
- Black Pepper To taste
- Herbs To taste; rosemary, parsley, chive, oregano
- Large Skillet
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Dish 9×9 inch
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic. Cook and stir frequently until lightly browned.
- Place cooked vegetables in a large mixing bowl and add broth/stock and beaten egg. Mix well then add in the dried bread cubes. Season with salt, pepper, and herbs. The mixture should be fairly wet but not soupy, add more broth if too dry. (*Optional, can add any drippings from a roasted turkey.)
- Use half of the butter to coat a 9×9-inch baking dish. Spread the bread mixture into the buttered dish and top with the remaining butter.
- Bake for 30–45 minutes or until golden and slightly crisp around the edges and top. Should reach a minimum of 145 degrees F internally.
- Cornbread can also be used.
Keyword Black Pepper, Butter, Carrot, Celery, Chicken Broth, Egg, Garlic, Onion, Salt, Vegetable Oil