- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion Medium, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves Finely chopped
- 1 Ginger 2½-inch piece, peeled, finely grated
- 1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes Crushed
- ¾ cup Lentils Red or green
- 1 can Crushed Tomatoes 14½ ounces
- ½ cup Cilantro Fresh, finely chopped
- Ground Black Pepper
- 1 can Coconut Milk 13½ ounces; unsweetened
- Large Pot
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium.
- Add the onion, stirring often, until the onion is softened and golden brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger, curry, and red pepper flakes, stirring continuously for about 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, stir for about one minute.
- Add the tomatoes, cilantro, a pinch of salt and pepper, 2½ cups of water, coconut milk, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until lentils are soft- about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- If not serving immediately, allow to cool, then either refrigerate (will keep up to three days), or freeze.
Keyword Cilantro, Coconut Milk, Crushed Tomatoes, Curry Powder, Garlic, Garlic Cloves, Garlic Powder, Ground Ginger, Lentil Soup, Lentils, Onion, Onions, Powdered Ginger, Red Pepper Flakes, Tomato, Tomato Soup, Tomatoes