Chili mac is a favorite comfort food for my family, I eat the leftovers for lunch the next day or I freeze them for a quick meal another night.
- 1 lb Ground Turkey Or beef
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 cup Vegetables Fresh or frozen, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Or oregano
- 1½ cups Elbow Macaroni
- 2 cans Red Beans 15 ounces, kidney or pinto beans
- 2 cans Diced Tomatoes 14.5 ounces, no salt added, tomatoes with juice
- 1 can Tomato Sauce 6 ounces
- ¾ cup Cheddar Cheese Reduced fat
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Put ground meat in a 6-quart saucepan or soup pot or 12" skillet. Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Cook meat over medium heat. While cooking chop meat and stir until it is cooked through and no longer pink. Ground turkey will turn white.
- While meat is cooking, gently rub any fresh vegetables under cold running water.
- Chop onion and fresh vegetables.
- Add onion, vegetables, chili powder and cumin or oregano and continue cooking until onions are tender. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- In a separate pot, cook the macaroni following package directions, but omit salt and oil.
- While the macaroni cooks, drain and rinse the beans. Add beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce to the ground meat mixture. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water if sauce is too thick.
- Stir cooked macaroni and cheese into pot. The heat of the food will melt the cheese.
Keyword Cheddar Cheese, Chili Powder, Cumin, Diced Tomatoes, Ground Turkey, Macaroni, Onion, Red Beans, Tomato Sauce, Vegetables