- 4 Chicken Thighs Bone-in, about 1½ pounds
- 1 head Lettuce Romaine
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Medium
- 1 Apple Small
- 8 Snow Peas
- 1 can Mandarin Oranges 10 ounces, packed in juice
- 2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 2 teaspoons Soy Sauce Low-sodium
- 2 teaspoons Distilled White Vinegar
- ¼ cup Almonds Optional; slivered
- Large Bowl
- Large Pot
- Food Thermometer
- Remove skin and trim any excess fat from chicken thighs. In a large pot over high heat, add chicken and cover with water. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cook until a food thermometer inserted in the thickest part of a thigh without touching the bone reads 165°F, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool. While the chicken cooks and cools, prepare rest of salad.
- Rinse lettuce. Pat dry. Tear into bite-size pieces.
- Rinse bell pepper. Remove core and seeds. Cut into bite-size pieces.
- Rinse apple. Cut into thin slices. Then, cut slices into matchsticks.
- Rinse snow peas. Slice thinly on the diagonal.
- Drain mandarin oranges, reserving juice.
- In a large bowl, add peanut butter, oil, soy sauce, vinegar, and 1 Tablespoon reserved mandarin orange juice. Mix until well blended.
- When the chicken is cool, shred with two forks.
- Add lettuce, bell pepper, apple, snow peas, drained mandarin oranges, and chicken to bowl with dressing. Toss to coat. If using almond, sprinkle on top of salad now.
- If you have leftover cooked chicken, use 1½ cups in place of the chicken thighs.
- Use 4 cups spinach instead of romaine, if you prefer.
- For extra color and flavor, add grated carrots.
- Plan ahead for leftovers. Set aside some salad and dressing before tossing together. Store separately. Toss just before serving.
- You can use rice vinegar instead of distilled white vinegar.
- When they are in season, use fresh oranges or clementines in place of canned mandarin oranges. Use 1 Tablespoon orange juice in place of reserved mandarin orange juice in step 7.
Keyword Apple, Apples, Bell Peppers, Chicken, Chicken Salad, Green Bell Pepper, Mandarin Oranges, Peanut Butter, Peanut Dressing, Peas, Red Pepper, Romaine Lettuce, Snow Peas, Soy Sauce, White Distilled Vinegar, Yellow Bell Pepper