A delicious and warming blend of spices, tomatoes, and chickpeas.
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 2 Onions Medium, finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Fresh, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper Optional; minced
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper Optional
- 2 teaspoons Coriander Ground
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin Ground
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes 28 ounces
- 3½ cups Chickpeas Cooked; see notes for how to cook dried beans
- 2 teaspoons Curry Powder Or more garam masala
- Cilantro Optional; for serving
- 1 Lime Optional; for serving
- 2 Medium Saucepans
- Medium Bowl
- Large Fork
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Stir in the ginger, garlic, and jalapeño (if using), and allow to cook for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the garam masala, turmeric, cayenne, coriander, cumin, and salt. Stir for 30 seconds, then add the canned tomatoes with their liquid. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until thick. Remove the sauce from heat, and reserve half for later use.
- In a medium bowl, mash about half of the chickpeas with a big fork or potato masher. Combine all the chickpeas with half of the simmer sauce and the additional 2 teaspoon of curry or garam masala in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir well, adding a splash of water if it looks too dry. Aim for a porridge-like consistency; you may have to add up to 1 cup of water.
- Serve with basmati or brown rice, generously garnished with cilantro and fresh lime juice if using.
- How to Cook Dried Beans
- The extra simmer sauce will stay good in the fridge for five days, or up to 4 months in the freezer. If using canned chickpeas, use 2 (14oz) cans.
Keyword Cayenne, Cayenne Pepper, Chickpea, Chickpeas, Coriander, Cumin, Curry Powder, Diced Tomatoes, Dried Chickpeas, Dried Garbanzo Beans, Fresh Ginger, Garam Masala, Garbanzo Bean, Garbanzo Beans, Garlic, Ginger, Jalapeño Pepper, Oil, Onion, Onions, Tomato, Tomatoes, Turmeric, Vegan, Vegetarian