- 12 cups Broth Beef or vegetable; low sodium
- 5 cups Cabbage Green or red; thinly sliced
- 1 Onion Large, chopped
- 3 Carrots Medium, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Beets Large, cut into matchsticks
- 4 Potatoes Large, peeled and cubed
- 1 can Tomato Paste 6 ounces
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon White Vinegar
- 3 cloves Garlic Grated
- Ground Black Pepper To taste
- ¼ cup Dill Or parsley, finely chopped
- Sour Cream Or yogurt, for serving
- Large Pot with Lid
- Large Skillet
- In a large pot, add broth and bay leaves, and bring to a boil. In the meanwhile, wash, peel, and cut vegetables.
- Once the broth is boiling, add cabbage, cover, and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat a large skillet on medium heat and swirl 1 Tablespoon of oil to coat. Add onion and carrots and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beets, remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil, and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer sauteed veggies to a pot along with potatoes, tomato paste, and salt. Cover, bring to a boil, and cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Add vinegar, sugar, garlic, and pepper. Stir and let borscht sit for 10 minutes to allow flavors to marinate. Add dill (or parsley), stir, and adjust any seasonings to taste.
- Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream (or yogurt), and bread on the side.
Keyword Bay Leaf, Bay Leaves, Beef Broth, Beets, Broth, Cabbage, Carrot, Carrots, Dill, Oil, Olive Oil, Onion, Onions, Parsley, Potato, Potatoes, Sour Cream, Tomato Paste, Vegetable Broth, Vinegar, White Distilled Vinegar, Yogurt