Black Bean, Sweet Potato and Quinoa Chili
A healthy, mouth-watering spin on traditional chili.
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 5 Garlic Cloves Chopped
- 1½ Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Coriander
- 1 can Tomatoes 14½ ounce can; low-sodium
- ½ pound Black Beans Dried
- 1 teaspoon Oregano Dried
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1½ cups Sweet Potatoes Cubed
- ¼ cup Quinoa Rinsed and drained
- Ground Black Pepper To taste
- Soup Pot
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 6-7 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, and coriander and stir. Cook together for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans, and oregano. Add 5 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid slightly ajar and simmer until beans are tender, anywhere from 2-4 hours.
- After 1½ hours of cooking, add sweet potatoes, quinoa, and salt. Place the pot's lid back on slightly ajar and allow to simmer on low heat until beans are soft, and the sweet potatoes and quinoa are tender. Add water if chili becomes too thick. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Keyword Beans, Black Beans, Chili, Chili Powder, Diced Tomatoes, Garlic, Garlic Cloves, Garlic Powder, Low Sodium, Onion, Onions, Oregano, Potatoes, Quinoa, Sweet Potato, Tomato, Tomatoes