- 2 cups Brown Rice
- 3 Onions Small, diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper Small, diced
- 1 Garlic Clove Small, finely chopped
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack Cheese Low-fat
- 3 cans Pinto Beans 15½ ounce cans
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Ground
- 1 teaspoon Oregano Dried
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes 28-ounces; no salt added
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 Avocado Optional
- 3 Tablespoons Cilantro Optional; fresh
- ½ cup Yogurt Optional; low-fat
- 9×13-inch Baking Dish
- Box Grater
- Medium Pot
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook rice following package directions. Set aside. While rice cooks, prepare rest of dish.
- Peel, rinse, and dice onions. Rinse and dice bell pepper. Peel and finely chop garlic.
- If using avocado, peel it, remove pit, and slice. Rinse and chop fresh cilantro.
- Grate cheese.
- In a colander, rinse and drain canned beans.
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onions, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until veggies are soft and just starting to brown.
- Add spices. Stir to toast, about 30 seconds.
- Add drained beans and canned tomatoes with their juices. Simmer mixture on low until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Coat baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread cooked rice on bottom of baking dish. Cover rice with bean mixture and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and botana is heated through.
- If using, top with cilantro, avocado slices, and a dollop of yogurt.
- If using rice in more than one meal this week, cook a larger batch. Use leftovers in this recipe.
- Try using other toppings like lettuce, tomato, red onion, olives, jalapeño pepper, or salsa.
- Use black beans or other leftover beans in place of the pinto beans, if desired.
- Use a cheese you have on hand, like low-fat cheddar, pepper jack, or Colby cheese, instead of the Monterey Jack.
Keyword Beans, Bell Peppers, Brown Rice, Cayenne, Cayenne Pepper, Cheese, Chili Powder, Diced Tomatoes, Garlic, Garlic Cloves, Garlic Powder, Green Bell Pepper, Green Pepper, Monterey Jack Cheese, Onion, Onions, Oregano, Pinto Beans, Red Pepper, Rice, Tomato, Tomatoes, Wild Rice, Yellow Bell Pepper