- 2 Green Bell Pepper Diced
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 6 cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 bunch Cilantro Chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 15 ounce can Tomato Sauce
- 1 package Spanish Seasoning
- 2 15 ounce cans Pigeon Peas Drained
- 6 cups Water Boiled
- Blender Food Processor
- Place green peppers, onion, garlic and cilantro in a blender or food processor, puree. This mixture is called soffrito, it is your seasoning base. It can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or frozen for up to 6 months.
- Place 3 tablespoons olive oil and 6 tablespoons soffrito in an 8 quart saucepan. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes to release oils.
- Pour one can of tomato sauce and the Spanish seasoning packet into the saucepan, mix well. Add 3 cups rice to the mixture and stir until the rice is coated.
- Stir pigeon peas into the mixture and add boiling water. Cover the pot with aluminum foil and a pot lid. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 45 minutes or until rice is tender.
Keyword Brown Rice, Cilantro, Garlic, Green Bell Pepper, Onion, Pigeon Peas, Spanish Seasoning, Tomato Sauce, Vegetable Oil