- 5 Apples Medium
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar Packed and divided
- ½ cup Whole Wheat Flour Divided
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Cooking Spray
- ½ stick Butter Unsalted, cold
- 1½ cups Oats
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg Optional
- 9-inch Square Baking Dish
- Large Bowl
- Medium Bowl
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rinse and cut apples in half lengthwise. Remove any stems. Cut out center core of apple that contains the seeds. Do not peel.
- Place apples cut side down. Use a sharp knife to cut apples into ⅛-inch slices.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced apples, ¼ cup of brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon of flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg, if using. Mix well.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour apple mixture into baking dish. Spread evenly.
- Dice butter into smaller cubes, using a sharp knife. In a medium bowl, combine remaining brown sugar and flour, oats, and butter. Mix with hands until crumbly.
- Spread oat and flour mixture over apple mixture. Bake uncovered on middle rack of oven for 40 minutes or until top is lightly browned or bubbly.
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Keyword Apple, Apples, Butter, Cinnamon, Cooking Matters, Crisp, Ground Cinnamon, Oats, Quick Oats, Wheat Flour, Whole Wheat Flour