- 1 Tablespoon Oil Vegetable or canola
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Minced
- 1 Onion Medium, finely chopped
- 5 cups Kale Washed, thick stems removed, leaves finely chopped
- 4 cups Acorn Squash Puree About 2 medium squash or 2 (12 ounce) boxes frozen winter squash puree, thawed
- 3 cups Chicken Broth Or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Salt Or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper Or to taste
- 4 strips Bacon Optional; cooked and cut into ½-inch pieces
- Large Saucepan
- Baking Sheet
- If starting with whole squash, preheat oven to 375°F. (Skip to step 3 if using store-bought puree).
- Cut squash in half, remove seeds, bake inverted for one hour. When cooled, mash with a potato masher or blend in a food processor.
- Over medium-high heat, add oil into a large saucepan (at least 3 quart size).
- Add minced garlic and onion, and cook until softened (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Add kale to the pot and cook until soft (3 to 4 minutes).
- Add the squash puree and 3 cups of broth. Bring soup to a boil, more broth may be added to reach desired consistency. Add ground ginger, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup topped with cooked and cut bacon if using.
- Recommend cooking bacon on a lined sheet pan in the oven according to the package directions.
Keyword Acorn Squash, Baked Squash, Barley Soup, Broth, Gluten Free, Ground Ginger, Kale, Onion, Soup, Squash Puree, Vegetarian